Issues after installing 5th graphics card
I've managed to run 4 graphic cards so far with this setup.
- Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270-p
- 4 x GTX 1060 3G (ultimately need to install 6)
- RAM: 8 GB
- Intel pentium 1151
- Cards are connected via powered risers
Relevant software – Ubunutu 17.04 – Latest Nvidia binary driver 281
I know that installing 4+ cards is usually problematic in Linux. I've been following the instructions in http://bit.ly/2spHJ2W and they helped me install 4th card. However, the instructions are extremely indeterministic and don't have a clear order. They usually involve:
- Turn on/off Bios "Above 4G decoding".
- Change PCIE link speed to Gen 1, 2 or 3.
- Change DMI Max Link Speed to Gen1, 2, or 3.
- Add one card at a time.
Once I install 5th card into motherboard and turn on computer, I get one of the following issues:
- Ubuntu boots fine but "nvidia-settings" only shows 4 cards
- BIOS splash appears but black screen afterwards.
- No output signal at all.
- No BIOS splash appears. I just get the error:
Error: unknown filesystem. grub rescue>
Random questions I have:
- Does it matter which card has HDMI plugged? Should I rely on the integrated intel gpu instead?
- When people say "install one card at a time, then install drivers", aren't drivers already installed?
- There are 6 PCI-E slots 1) PCI-E x16 (x16 mode), PCI-E x16 (max x4 mode) and 4*PCI-E x1. Do they differ in anyway? Is there supposed to be an inherently primary slot?
I realize I'm completely lost and can't make sense of what I'm seeing. But that's why I'm here! I'd really appreciate any debugging tips.
Submitted June 19, 2017 at 02:05AM by rgeorgy
via reddit http://bit.ly/2rFCbnY